Short and sweet are two words that describe this blog entry….oh and did I say funny? lol I teach 4 classes by myself but for the rest of my classes I have several co-teachers. One co-teacher in particular is such a dynamic and refined person. I do NOT use the word dynamic loosely so you KNOW she embodies a piercing and unforgettable presence. Usually I am rather stern with my kids but she takes it to another level.
From the outside she reeks of a poised, dignified yet very youthful persona. She is razor sharp and hales from an Ivy league background, but she gets up in kids faces and challenges them at the drop of a dime. It takes a lot to shock me, but she manages to do it at least once a week and I crack up laughing inside because the kids are TERRIFIED OF HER! For the sake of confidentiality, I’ll call her Ms. G. I’ve seen Ms. G charge into the face of the biggest kid (she’s tiny). Ms. G walks on top of desks which intimidates the kids by far and the thing she did the other day has been the conversation to a few of my friends and family lately.
So we start class the other day and two kids are arguing and talking over her. Ms. G says, “SHUT YOUR MOUTH”! One kid shuts up immediately and Carl, the other kid, decides to be defiant and keep talking. Ms. G says in a stern voice, “so you are just going to keep talking and ignore me?” Carl says, “yeah, yeah whatever, yes. I am talking back to you and yes I am still talking!” (SIDE NOTE: Now do you remember in the movie, The Color Purple, when Harpo’s girlfriend Squeak slapped Ms. Sofia in the juke joint and the piano player closed shop and shut down the piano? Well I was like the piano player and shut the book I was browsing through and moved to the side because I KNEW she was going to go A-Wall on him! HA!)
Ms. G goes off on Carl and the kid he was arguing with starts ferociously laughing at him. Carl yells out to him in front of the class, “Yo, son..F*CK you and suck my D**k!” Ms G. walks over to Carl and in front of the class, she says, “boy get out of class…NOW! Nobody wants to suck that little thang!”
I tried to hold back my laughter, but I couldn’t! I was dying laughing along with the other 30 kids. Of course the kid was mortified, but hey…he brought it upon himself. We later talked to him outside of class and he apologized. Carl is probably one of my favorite and smartest students, but the new crowd he is starting to hang around obviously has got him drinking stupid juice to think he can get away with saying that. Later, Ms. G came to me and was like..”OMG, it was a reaction and I didn’t realize I was going to say that!” Hey, I didn’t care and neither did the class. A good guy friend of mine said that he is going to need a therapist to get over Ms. G’s comment…I disagree. He’s just fine…the world will deal out tougher cards than that comment. We are just building up his armor.
Friday, December 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment