Monday, October 15, 2007

DEFROSTING THE HEART...

A girl ran out of the classroom to keep from vomiting today. Another girl started crying and then several of the burliest guys in my class had played hooky from my class. Why?...ahhhh, well it was their very first speech day EVER! The kids were scared out of their minds because I walked into class with one of the most stoic faces ever, when I usually sport a beaming smile.


I simply told them that if they laugh, taunt or ridicule a classmate during their speech, then there will be some "major problems...and that they didn't want major problems with me". Inside I was dying laughing because I could literally see the gulps in the throats of most of the kids.

Minutes later, the kids were laughing uncontrollably.....and so was I. It was laughter from the comedic speech of the first volunteer, one of my most creative students, James. James decided to deliever his speech on "what is love" in a full British accent and ended the speech by serenading a young girl on the front row of the class. I thought the girl was going to pass out because she already had the biggest crush on him prior to the speech. LOL!!! After him came a series of speeches that ranged from kids whose parents were killed to a scholar sharing their love for taking care of their ailing sibling. About 40% of the kids stood up and said, "i don't know what love is" or "I'm not sure if my family really loves me"...things on those lines. The sheer honestly and transparency of the kids during a first speech in front of an entire classroom almost brought me to tears. The kids didn't realize that through their complaints, fears and dubious attitudes prior to speech day, they managed to shine beyond their wildest dreams!

For the scholar who said, "someone help me defrost my heart to love"...
For the scholar who said, "I lost every concept of love when my mom died last year"
For the scholar who said, "Love gave up on me a long time ago"..
For the scholar who said, "What is love without follow up...just broken promises"...
For all of those scholars, I say to them that "I loved them before I even knew them. I loved them the day I quit my job in entertainment, and I have love for them every morning as I wake up and head to one of the worst neighborhoods in the United States."

I love my job,...I love my kids...and I love the array of emotions they give me each and everyday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sab, those kids have love! They have you! Keep on doing what you're doing, I'm loving it!

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful Sabrina. I'm so proud of you.

Unknown said...

and i love that blog! i have so much admiration 4 u..it's not an easy thing 2 work in a school where most people wouldn't dare venture off 2..it's not easy dealing with children who most ppl will slap a negative label on and leave them alone, it is quite a challenge..and ur facing that daily, and IMO ur doing a wonderful job..keep it up Sabrina! i'm so proud :)