I promised I'd blog about my first day of summer school...but it was nothing AT ALL to write about. The summer school I was originally placed at this morning was just so out of order I was switched to my actual school I will be at in the Fall for summer school. Once I get settled at my real school, I'll fill you in....
In the meantime, let me tell you about 2 more incidents I failed to mention in the last blog...John and two boys I will call...ahh..let's call them "the Rollercoaster boys"....Rudolf and Rufus. (you'll see why I named them the Rollercoaster boys in a second) ha!
Now John is not a boy, he's a grown man...another graduate school classmate of mine. Irish Catholic guy from Staten Island who is literally like a character out of the movie "Knocked UP". He's an ex-college wrestler and football player, massive in stature and he has a beer belly for days! Hilarious is an understatement when it comes to his sense of humor. John is "out of CONTROL" on all levels and he knows that, but he is guaranteed to give you a hernia from laughing...well that was until a few days.
So after one of our "heated" racial discussions I mentioned in the previous blog the teacher gave the class a much needed 10 min break. John walks up to me and strikes up a playful conversation about his upbringing and mine. In a nutshell, he flat out told me that his family always referred to Blacks as "niggahs" and nothing else and that when he went to college he almost got his tail kicked NUMEROUS times because he referred to Black people as COLORED! (dude graduated college in 2006 ok) (I think I zoned out at that moment and felt the blood rushing to my dome)..I was like "WHAT?" He responded by saying that he truly didn't know that was offensive. I guess John was getting pretty comfortable around me within our 2 min coversation when somehow the topic slightly changed from Blacks to Hispanics. John was steady blabbing and then he said, "well you know the spics.....". He could not complete his sentenced due to the extremely deep gasp of air that I inhaled and my bulging eyes! In 2.5 seconds flat, John's face was as red as a cherry pie on my Grandma's stove! He quickly said, "oops, did I just say spic?"
I quickly and blatantly told him that although I was not of Latin decent ...the comment he made was terribly offensive and that he needs to correct his frame of mind AND language before he starts teaching in the Fall! For some reason, I couldn't get mad at John. I felt terribly sad for him that he grew up in an atomosphere packed with ignorance....jammed PACKED!
Actually, bringing up the conversation of John in this blog just drained all of my energy so I will hold off on telling you about Rudolf and Rufus, the Rollercoaster Boys....because LORD knows, I'm going to need more energy to blog about those youngins than blogging about John, the foul mouth Staten Islander.
Just put it like this...my first time observing a high school class in Brooklyn was about 2 months ago...and the first two boys I met was Rudolf and Rufus. I know that when I'm 80 years of age chilling on my front porch gleefully gazing at my great grandkids play(God willing)...I will still be talking about Rudolf and Rufus...
I couldn't make up these stories even if I wanted to....just crazy...
until next time....
Friday, July 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh! That's a total cliff hanger. You can't introduce us to Rufus and Rudolpf and not tell us about them. You are definitely in my prayers!
What's up sistah-friend?!? Glad to see your comments are working...go get 'em!
You are HILARIOUS!!I glad you are making the most of your transition. I can't wait till the next blog.
What's funny about this. . . just a couple of days ago, while at work. . . a fe wof my compatriates decided to discuss the english language and how spanish speaking people should just "learn the language."
Now, consider who is having the discussioin. One southern black girl with the wildest southern twang ever heard, white irish, white italian with the wildest native italian accent, not the NY italian accent, ever heard and several other youngins. What made the situation wild is that another one of my colleagues, Emilce, and I were listening in the cut getting extremely pissed off. . .
Not because I'm of latin heritage and she's full-blooded Dominican. But, because someone would form their lips to say some outrageous nonsense like "learn the language" is absolutely proposterous. Just consider the broken dialiects of english we do speak. I've yet to meet someone who can either write or speak the english language without fault. AND, then meet someone well-versed in other languages to even gauge an opinion like that.
It seems that once a group is accepted and ultimately tolerated, the target becomes another group. But, what the hell is the problem? What's wrong with expanding someone's boundaries and learning another language. Personally, I can't wait to become fluent in spanish so I can finally engage my family in the way I've always wanted. What's worse, there are some people who become comfortable with the way another person looks that this individual assumes another's identity based solely off their looks.
Actually, that's the reason I have my tattoo. No one can tell my Boriquen heritage just by looking at me. But, it's there. And, I'm sure that there are tons of comments made about people of the same or other latin cultures amongst other groups while they don't even know those groups are among them (quite confusing, just visualize.) Actually, that's the reason why my mother decided to let the schools teach us due to the flak she received growing up. She didn't want us to deal with that which is kinda wack. But, on the flip side, I understood her reasons.
What's more, how the hell can one immigrant group judge another when both your immigrant asses came here by hook or by crook to find a better life. There is no rule/law that states one must learn english.
That blog/story just struck a chord with the kid and brought that whole angst filled morning to light. I didn't even have the energy to confront them. Besides, I know their intellectual level and was not even worried about them covorting with anyone outside of the "english-speaking" populations. Anyway, holla
What's funny about this. . . just a couple of days ago, while at work. . . a fe wof my compatriates decided to discuss the english language and how spanish speaking people should just "learn the language."
Now, consider who is having the discussioin. One southern black girl with the wildest southern twang ever heard, white irish, white italian with the wildest native italian accent, not the NY italian accent, ever heard and several other youngins. What made the situation wild is that another one of my colleagues, Emilce, and I were listening in the cut getting extremely pissed off. . .
Not because I'm of latin heritage and she's full-blooded Dominican. But, because someone would form their lips to say some outrageous nonsense like "learn the language" is absolutely proposterous. Just consider the broken dialiects of english we do speak. I've yet to meet someone who can either write or speak the english language without fault. AND, then meet someone well-versed in other languages to even gauge an opinion like that.
It seems that once a group is accepted and ultimately tolerated, the target becomes another group. But, what the hell is the problem? What's wrong with expanding someone's boundaries and learning another language. Personally, I can't wait to become fluent in spanish so I can finally engage my family in the way I've always wanted. What's worse, there are some people who become comfortable with the way another person looks that this individual assumes another's identity based solely off their looks.
Actually, that's the reason I have my tattoo. No one can tell my Boriquen heritage just by looking at me. But, it's there. And, I'm sure that there are tons of comments made about people of the same or other latin cultures amongst other groups while they don't even know those groups are among them (quite confusing, just visualize.) Actually, that's the reason why my mother decided to let the schools teach us due to the flak she received growing up. She didn't want us to deal with that which is kinda wack. But, on the flip side, I understood her reasons.
What's more, how the hell can one immigrant group judge another when both your immigrant asses came here by hook or by crook to find a better life. There is no rule/law that states one must learn english.
That blog/story just struck a chord with the kid and brought that whole angst filled morning to light. I didn't even have the energy to confront them. Besides, I know their intellectual level and was not even worried about them covorting with anyone outside of the "english-speaking" populations. Anyway, holla
Hey girl that boy John the Irish one has got issues! He knows he's wrong for saying the N word trying to act clueless and spic oh lawd!
keep the blogs coming! glad 2 hear of ur experiences...i just hope that u feel sorry 4 those blacks who grow up w/the parents who teach em about "fuck crackas" as much as u do 4 those who grew up like ur classmate..same close-minded ignorant mentality..
Post a Comment